Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Pros and Cons of the MLS All-Star Game

In a few days the MLS will host their annual All-Star game in Toronto at BMO Stadium. This year they will be put up against West Ham a middle to low end of the table club in the EPL.


But lets get down to brass tacks (I never really got that saying.. does anyone really know where that comes from). I'd like to start with the pros because I'm a positive guy.


The All-Star game will rake in a lot of money. All those little MLS fans out there that don't know any better, and will want to buy the jersey of their hero. So everyone go out and buy one... the MLS needs the money.


Every American (besides myself and some others out there) thinks its such a great thing to have all the best players from around the league playing in one stadium. I'm sure that everyone will be tuning in to the game for a number of reasons, first and most importantly I'm sure everyone would like to see a massive fight in the stands... cause we all know how lovely the West Ham supporters are.



Its sad but that's all I can really think of..... now for the cons....



I don't think I'm going to number these because I love to ramble.. to shoot down my #2 above... yeah its the best players from around the league..... to be honest I'd rather watch a game between any of the big four in England (Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd (in alphabetical order)). This is very different from say a MLB, NBA, or NFL All-Star game where you do have the best players from around the world. This is a match where star players from our home front will play against a team that will never again break the the top four in the premiership. Which isn't that exciting.

I also don't like how they bring in a team from abroad to play. Personally I'd like to see a classic East v. West game where they showcase all the best players in the league. I'm sure most of them would be designated players but at least you'll be able to see 22 of your favorite players not just the 11 that will be playing in a few days.

I can see how they want to showcase the MLS as they take on a European team, but why not bring in Barca or Man Utd. I'm sure they would love to give the MLS stars a good shellacking. I see this as the league bringing in a team that will likely lose to the team of MLS wonders so the league can glorify the hell out of it..

Overall I think it's great for an up and coming league such as the MLS, it'll give the league some recognition on the home front.. and we can yet again beat those damn red coats at their own game. So yay All-Star game!!

1 comment:

Landgraf13 said...

So I agree with most of your points regarding the All-Star game. But have you heard, with Real Salt Lake hosting the game next year and with their affiliation to the big boys, the strong rumors are that the All-Stars will be taking on Real Madrid. Now you can't totally knock the format being that it was West Ham. True they're an average at best EPL squad, but at the same time, look at who they've played...Chelsea, Celtic and now the probability of Real Madrid. It holds some strength but I dont think a team of the West Ham caliber should be included in the future.